Thanks for making NGTAM16 a success!
Check out the meeting content in a single drive
(including talks, posters, breakouts, photos, and more!)
Link to NGTAM16 meeting drive
Note: A few talks, posters are not accessible.
September 21-22, 2016**
Smithsonian S. Dillon Ripley Center, Washington DC
**Friday, September 23rd includes a half-day Strategic Planning Session for the Executive Committee and Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) only.
This year’s NGEE-Tropics Annual Meeting will be held Wednesday, September 21st through Thursday, September 22, 2016, at the Smithsonian S. Dillon Ripley Center, located in the National Mall, in Washington, D.C. We look forward to sharing exciting science progress with our team and invited guests and discussing how to achieve our Phase 1 goals and deliverables. All funded project personnel are expected to attend the Annual Meeting. Friday, September 23rd includes a 1/2-day Strategic Planning Session for the Executive Committee and Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) only.
- TUESDAY, September 20th: Arrive by this day.
- WEDNESDAY, September 21st: Registration and AM Refreshments Start at 7:00AM. Annual Meeting schedule: 8:00AM – 6:00PM.
- THURSDAY, September 22nd: AM Refreshments Starts at 7:00AM. Annual Meeting schedule: 8:00AM – 6:00PM
- FRIDAY, September 23rd: Half-day Strategic Planning Session (for Executive Committee and Scientific Advisory Board only) – Ends around 12:00pm.
Where to Meet
S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian – see map
1100 Jefferson Drive SW
Washington DC 20560
The entrance to the Ripley Center is a small round kiosk building with a green roof just west of the Smithsonian Castle.
Security check-in: Since our meeting starts before business hours, in order to enter the building, Security will need to check your bags and your names against our attendee list. Registration and AM refreshments will take place 7:00 – 8:00AM each day. At the end of each day, we must exit the building by 6:00 PM.
Ripley Center is a 12-minute walk to/from the Holiday Inn-Washington Capitol. (see map; additional info on hotel below)
Where to Stay
Holiday Inn – Washington Capitol – see map
550 C Street SW
Washington, DC 20024
If you’ve already reserved your hotel room – check the FINAL ROOM LIST (updated 9/8/2016).
Reserve your room by Tuesday, August 30, 2016: Click on hotel booking link or call 1-877-572-6951
• Group name: NGEE Tropics Annual All Hands Meeting
• Group Code: LB6
To reserve your room, use the hotel booking link above by Tuesday, August 30th. You will need a personal credit card to hold your reservation and to pay in full upon check-out. A limited block of hotel rooms are on hold only for the nights of Tue Sep 20, Wed Sep 21, Thu Sep 22. Please book within these dates to obtain the U.S. Government rate of $222/night.
How to Get There
Note that SAB members and select international collaborators will have their travel arranged and reimbursed by NGEE-Tropics and should have received an email from Valarie Espinoza-Ross. For all others, please arrange your travel in/out of the airports below.
- DCA Reagan Airport – best for internal US flights | Distance to hotel: 4 miles – see map
- Dulles International Airport – best for international flights | Distance to hotel: 30 miles – see map
- BWI (Baltimore) Airport – best for international flights | Distance to hotel: 34 miles – see map
The Holiday Inn – Washington Capitol does not have airport shuttle service. We recommend airport taxis with fixed rates as the first option. There are also Uber or Lyft to/from the airport to the hotel that may be cheaper but you need the smartphone apps to arrange for them. And there are public transportation options that are less expensive. The closest metro stops are the L’Enfant Plaza Station (3 min walk to hotel), the Federal Center SW Metro Station (6 min walk to hotel), and the Smithsonian Metro Station (12 min walk to hotel).
Meeting meals provided – Please note the meals that will be provided during the Annual Meeting:
- Day 1 (Wed Sep 21): AM Refreshments; PM Refreshments; Poster Reception light snacks and cash bar – alcohol purchased from the cash bar will be a personal expense and will NOT be covered or reimbursed using DOE/NGEE-Tropics funds. Lunch and Dinner are on your own.
- Day 2 (Thu Sep 22): AM Refreshments; Lunch for Early Career session attendees only – all others are on your own; PM Refreshments. Dinner for Executive Committee and Science Advisors – all others are on your own.
- Day 3 (Fri Sep 23 – Strategic Planning Session for Executive Committee and Scientific Advisors only): AM Refreshments; Lunch.
Dining Options – Check out the following links for lunch and dinner options nearby.
- L’Enfant Plaza restaurants
- Smithsonian Museum cafes
- Food trucks near the National Mall – along Maryland Ave SW between 7th St SW and 6th St SW, just behind the Air and Space Museum is usually a haven for local food trucks.
Dinner (Consider using Opentable.com to make reservations.)
- From Yelp – Restaurants near the Smithsonian Ripley Center
- From Washington Post – The best places to eat within walking distance of the National Mall
- Rasika – modern Indian
- nopa Kitchen + Bar – New American
- Founding Farmers – Traditional American
- Zaytinya – Greek, Turkish, Lebanese small plates
- Jaleo – Spanish tapas
- La Tasca – another Spanish tapas restaurant; comes recommended by DC locals!
- Espita Mezcaleria – Mexican
Our meeting agenda will be packed, but if you have time, take a stroll around the National Mall and visit the memorials, monuments, museums, and other iconic sites.